Thursday, September 4, 2008

A busy girl (or guy's) life

So... it has been a busy summer. It has been an expensive summer. I have been to more weddings than I ever anticipated in the course of the last few months (two to go this fall!), and I am almost halfway through my first class in an MBA program. Yes, I am in Financial Accounting. No, I'm not sure that I'm going to pass. But you know what? Balancing my checkbook doesn't terrify me nearly as much these days.

My fella has started volunteering as an assistant high school football coach, so we are busy folks and don't get to spend as much time together as we would like. The last thing that we need to add is unnecessary financial stress or unhealthy foods that are going to compromise our health or energy. So over Labor Day weekend, we loaded up both of our crockpots to take with us to his house-sitting gig. After church, we sat down with a cookbook, made a shopping list, hit the grocery store, and made two crockpot dinners and a casserole and divided it all up into single-serving portions to put in our freezers. The time that we actually spent on the prep and dividing up probably totalled less than an hour, and we were together, so it was fun.

We each spent about $18 and got 4 or 5 healthy dinners out of it. Hey, it's cheaper and much healthier than McDonald's! We could have trimmed costs farther, but this particular grocery store didn't have any almost-expired meat. It is easy for me to throw a frozen meal in my work bag when I have a night shift, and it's easy for him to throw one in the microwave when he gets home from work and practice and is totally beat. We're planning to make the joint batch-cooking a weekend habit. Since we're both pretty stressed most of the week, it helps a lot to know that we don't have to worry about scrounging around for dinner.

We love our crockpots. So does this lady. Check out her blog... it is awesome. She is my personal inspiration.

No comments: